Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Typical Bonnaroovians

If you know me at all, you know I went to Bonnaroo this weekend. Everyone keeps asking me how it was and, since I can't even begin to describe how it was, I'm going to try to write a post (or four) about it.

Things you should know:
• The girls I went with: Staci, Traci, Steph, Meagan, Jenn and Rachel
• Staci, Traci and Steph in one car
• Meagan and Jenn in another car
• Rachel and I in mine

Thursday
We decided to meet in a random parking lot at 8:30 Thursday morning. This was certainly an ambitious time, but I figured we could aim for 8:30 and if we left by 9, we'd be doing great. Well, I then realized I'd forgotten my wristband on the way to pick up Rachel. So, I sent the group a text pushing the meeting time to 9 since we'd also heard about a wreck on the interstate that morning. Since I was almost to Rachel's place, I went ahead and picked her up. Hating myself for asking everyone to be there at 8:30, we then headed back to my apartment to get the one thing I couldn't forget. (Also, if you know me at all, you know that I'm the girl that reminds everyone to bring their tickets and then forgets her own. It's kind of my thing.) Rachel and I finally got to the parking lot about ten minutes after 9. I felt terrible because Meagan and Jenn were on time and had already been waiting 30 minutes and the other car still wasn't there yet.

But I digress.

After everyone got to the parking lot, we headed to Manchester around 10am. Somehow we got separated from the twins and Steph on the way. By some act of God, Rachel and I got through the toll booth at the same time Meagan and Jenn did, so we were right behind them in the line to camp. We ended up camping right across from each other and were able to put the easy-up between our tents for shade and a common area of sorts. Here is where we sat and hung out/did most of our drinking for the weekend.

Bonnaroo Life Lesson #1: Do not get separated from the people you want to camp with. If that requires a little aggressive driving ... so be it.

Our Setup

I knew almost immediately that we did not fit in with the typical Bonnaroovians. Before we had even gotten our tents up, the people to our right had already set up, made friends with the people camping across from them and lit up a blunt underneath their easy-up complete with carpet on the ground. Our neighbors were the typical Bonnaroovians. We were not. They didn't even offer us drugs.

Once we'd cooled off and had some beer, we decided to walk to Centeroo and see what was going on. Our tent was a little over a mile walk, which turned out to be a good thing. When we got closer I realized just how many people were there. It was crazy! People everywhere! We saw our first possibly drug-induced collapse. Some chick hit the ground, eyes wide open complete with death stare. No one seemed to do anything at first. Maybe they didn't know what to do, but eventually they got her up and walked her to some shade. There was nothing else we could do, so we kept going to Centeroo.

The line to get in was ridiculously long. We waited about 15 minutes to get in. People were literally everywhere. I had to adjust my mindset. I'm not a fan of having my personal space invaded. This was, however, the longest wait to get in of the weekend. It wasn't bad after that.

I don't remember all of what we did Thursday after getting to Centeroo - the whole weekend is a blur, but I know we saw Purity Ring around 9:30 because they sounded amazing. They also had a pretty cool light show to go with it. Rachel and I got separated from Meagan and Jenn a while before that and we knew they wanted to see Alt-J later that night, so we went back to the tent early. It was going to be a long weekend.

Bonnaroo Life Lesson #2: Get to bed early the first night.

No comments:

Post a Comment