Thursday, April 30, 2015

First Date [Almost] Problems

A couple of weeks ago marked a year for me in Charlotte, and I thought that warranted a life update. So here goes:

(I'd like to apologize in advance for the sappy stuff.)

This past year was probably one of my top five most eventful. I changed jobs for the first time in the real world, moved even farther from home, wrecked a car, left a toxic relationship, joined my sorority alumnae chapter and got a raise. But perhaps, the most important event so far has been meeting Matt.

I'm going to go ahead and get this out of the way now: We met on Tinder (Matt just tells people, "We swiped right.") It's a thing now. Everyone does it. Get over it.

We've only been together a short time, but he's the best thing that's ever happened to me, and it almost didn't happen.

Our first time meeting was at Icehouse at lunchtime. He will tell anyone who will listen that I was late, but the truth is he was early. I walked in at 1:32, and he wouldn't have even noticed that if he hadn't been so early. But I digress.

We sat outside, and he kept his sunglasses on until about halfway through the date. I couldn't see his face properly, but I could tell he was handsome.

He seemed pretty normal at first, but I immediately started to think he was a tool. The first tool flag went up when he said, "Shake and bake," to the waitress after she took our orders. I'm pretty sure he even threw in a "totes mcgotes" around the same time. Ugh. But he made me laugh and kept up with my sarcasm quite nicely. I really liked our back and forth. I felt like I could speak freely without hurting his feelings, so I overlooked it.

The second tool flag came with the food. About the time the waitress was delivering our orders, we were on the subject of what we do for work. He bragged about doing sales and being off by 3pm every day. He then had the nerve to laugh at me for having a 9-5. What the hell? A 9-5? Oh, you mean like every other normal person in the world? And I had worked hard to get that job, which was also super stressful at times. Who did he think he was? Screw this condescending asshole. What a tool. How rude is it to end a date right after you've ordered food? I was never going to speak to him again after this was over. But he'd pissed me off to the point where I couldn't hide it enough to be polite anymore. I told him what was up, and, after verifying that I was serious, he toned it down considerably after that. Yeah, I'm sarcastic, but I'm still a girl. I still get my feelings hurt every now and then.

He eventually started to win me back over. I was still on the fence until he took off his sunglasses. If I'd been standing up, I would've had to sit down. Pictures didn't do his eyes justice. He looked at me with those blue eyes and I was done. Game over. What 9-5?
(I realize how corny this sounds, trust me. I hate myself for writing it, but it's 100% true.)

When we'd sat there for about two hours, he invited me back to his place to hang out and meet his roommate and his girlfriend. I'm so glad I went because this gave us some time to get the hang of each other's personalities. I'd never met someone so similar to me, so it took some getting used to. I expected him to get his feelings hurt every time I called him out on something, and vice versa. But it didn't happen. We always seemed to be on the same page with everything. We were finishing each other's sentences 4 hours in to our first date.

The rest is history. Every time I see him feels like the first time. But it also feels like we've been together for years. It's impossible to explain, but when people see us together they can't help but notice how perfect we are, so I know I'm not crazy.

Say what you will about putting the cart before the horse, roll your eyes (pre-Matt Emily would do it too). Say what ever you need to say, but I've waited 27 years to feel like this about someone, and I love every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment